Saturday, April 07, 2007

Putting The Scales Away

So I am taking a bit of a break from the scales. I have decided to weigh in on the first of each month, instead of every week. My first weigh in will be 1st May, which will be 5 weeks and 2 days after I have stepped up the healthy eating and exercise.

After my last weigh in where I catapulted up to 117.5 kilos I just couldn't do it anymore. I started to define myself by my weight again and put restrictions on what I can and can't do. I felt like I couldn't leave the house because I was too fat and shouldn't be seen, that I was too fat to have an opinion at work, that I was too fat to hang out with my friends. I just let that number overwhelm me.

I am also hoping that weighing in once a month will relax me a little bit. If I go out to dinner, I won't be wondering all week how it is going to affect the scales. I can have a bit of fun with food and alcohol occasionally and not feel overcome with guilt and panic about the scales. If I gain half a kilo one week I won't have to sink into depression and beat myself up.

Now the hard part is keeping away from the scales, there are days when I wake up and feel good and would love to have a sneak peak. I think I might put the scales somewhere difficult to get to, like in the storage room under the stairs behind all my crap, I know I will be too lazy to get in there to get them!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck to you, Tully. I actually found that weighing less often made me more paranoid, but if you are able to make it work for you and if it really does help you, good on ya!

    I've been gaining weight recently, but its not the scales fault, its mine - the scales just hold up the mirror in front of my face and say, "Look at what you're doing to youself".

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ((BIG WARM HUGS)) You'll get there darlin'!! ......

    ReplyDelete

Awww thanks so much for the comment!