Sunday, August 12, 2007

It Is Official, I am a Fu*kwit

So last night i went out to dinner with a few girlfriends and had some wine. Then we decided to go to a club. We danced and had a good time. I got REALLY drunk and for some reason left the club on my own. I tend to wander off when I get drunk, so that is not too unusual, but my friend had my purse. So I got into a taxi with no money, keys or phone. I am a bit hazy with my memory here, but the taxi driver was seriously dangerous. I think I must have realised I didn't have any money and he decided to get payment a different way... He took me to Footscray, which is the opposite direction of where I live (and dodgy) and said he was taking me to his place and wouldn't let me out of the taxi. All I can remember is screaming and crying hysterically the whole time to let me out. This went on for about an hour or so and eventually he let me go near my house without hurting me. I think my hysteria and begging freaked him out. I remember looking at the meter as I scrambled out of the taxi and it was well over $100, which I obviously didn't pay. After this whole experience I was totally sober again, fear seemed to have sobered me up.

It gets worse.

So now I can't get into my house because I have no keys (my flat mate is at his family home 4 hours away). I can't call anyone because I have no phone and I can't go anywhere because I have no money. I tried reverse charging calls to friends, but I don't know any ones numbers and directory service didn't have any of their numbers. It is now 4am and raining and freezing cold and I am really scared. I call the police and they say they might send someone to try and help. Then a weirdo walks past and offers to help (keep in mind I am at the pay phones outside the commission flats in Fitzroy- not a safe area). So the weirdo offers to smash my bedroom window to get me inside. I take him up on this offer and he smashes the window with a piece of wood from someones picket fence. He gets in and then lets me in the front door.

It gets worse.

The weirdo won't leave my apartment. He has decided that since he helped me (which I am really grateful for) that he is going to stay at my place. I am getting increasingly scared and panicked. Then the police turn up thank god. The police physically remove him and he is really angry at me and screaming. The police leave. The weirdo comes back and can get in because the window is broken. Now he decides he's not going to leave unless I give him money. Fine, but I have no money. My friend has my cash and my eftpos card. I have a credit card, but I don't even know how to get cash out on it. He doesn't believe me and I am just doing my best not to make him angry. So I am scared out of my mind. This goes on until 6.30am, we are just going back and forth, me asking him to leave, him telling me to give him money. Eventually I tell him that I will pay for a taxi to take him home if he will leave. So I call a taxi and give the driver my credit card and he says he will charge me $90 for the trip. Fine, whatever, just take him away.

So he is finally gone. It is 7am and the sun is rising. I lock the door and start moving my bed in front of the broken window and put my mattress up against it to try and secure the apartment. 5 minutes later someone knocks at the door, I am petrified, thinking he has come back. Luckily it was my friend with my purse. They had gone to a hotel with some guys doing god knows what, with god knows who. I just about broke down with relief to see her. She gave me my stuff and they left and I went and lay down on the couch. I was too scared to sleep, so I just watched some old tapes of Grey's Anatomy to try and calm down. Then I got really hot and noticed I had a weird blotchy rash all over my body and I had to have a cold shower to try and cool down (keep in mind it is winter here). I think it was just shock or stress. A guy is coming to fix the window tomorrow, I am not sure if I will be able to sleep tonight, I just don't feel safe. This is not a safe area to live in to begin with.

Anyway, I am sitting here watching Sleepless in Seattle and drinking apple juice to soothe my sore throat which is raw from screaming and crying. I just feel like such a fucking idiot for getting myself in this situation. I should never have left the club alone, or got in a taxi alone (I had an incident last year in a taxi and vowed not to get in a taxi alone at night again) or let some weirdo into my house. I am just grateful I got out of this situation unhurt, god knows how. I used to get myself into shit like this when I was 19 or 20, but I am 26 now, I really should know better. I will not be putting myself in a position for this to happen again, I have learnt my lesson once and for all.

9 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Tully! You must've been terrified, you poor poor thing *HUGZ*

    I do hope that you report the driver of the taxi - I'm sure that they have procedures in place for dealing with people who can't pay (taking them back to headquarters instead of to dodgy places).

    Don't go wandering about by yourself again, PLEASE! We would be devastated if something happened to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOD !!!! Just in case you don't have a mum to say it to you (and forgive me before I do say it!)... You friggin half baked twit!!!!! I am soooo glad you managed to survive the night without getting hurt/violated or anything else!!!!! And the next thing is... did you get your credit card back or has the 2nd taxi driver got it forever to spend up large with??? I cannot believe you had such a god dam awful experience and got away with only a broken window !!!! Makes me shudder. Now you can be mad at me too for calling you names.... I am sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PHEW!!! I've been stressing for days after calling you names, I was sure you would not publish my comment!!! Glad you did, it means I CAN CALL YOU NAMES AND GET AWAY WITH IT!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!! .... I do hope you report the taxi twit! ...
    They say there is a lesson learnt in every situation ..... lets hope you learnt one this time!! *giggles* You half baked twit!! (Lol Chris)
    Take care and ease off the piss!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow woman. Talk about a night from hell! What a night. I am very happy that you are safe. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. God, you poor old thing. It's all over now, just try and learn from it and move on. I have done so many things that are similar! I used to live in Melbourne, and often after nightclubbing girlfriends and I would pile into a car with guys we had just met and head off to a party or to swim in a pool. The drunkest ever was when I went to a nightclub up north in QLD and drank martinis. I was so drunk, I was unconcious, and had my friend have to take me home. I couldn't for the life of me remember how I got back!!
    We have all done silly things Babe, it's good to know you are OK.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my god!! That is the craziest story I have ever heard! I am so glad you got out of it alright! There was no way you could have known that would/could happen... I hope you aren't too shaken!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good lord! I'm so glad you're okay! Poor girl!

    ReplyDelete

Awww thanks so much for the comment!