Friday, February 01, 2008

Another Friday, Another Weigh In

This morning I weighed in at 101.8 kilos (224 lbs), so a loss of 800 grams (1.5 lbs). I am back down to my lowest weight of last year and most of my work clothes are fitting again- thank god!

What really seems to be making the difference to my weight loss lately is that I have started looking at restricting my calories rather than fat. For years I thought that I had to count grams of fat and would restrict myself to 18 grams of fat a day. This of course meant that I was eating far too many 'low fat' products that were high in sugar and calories. I now try to keep to between 1200-1600 calories a day. I don't actually count my calories though because I am lazy, I just make a rough guess and keep a tally in my head through out the day.

I also got caught up in the whole 'carbs are evil' talk and stopped eating any carbohydrates. Now realise that my body has no energy without carbs and I need them. So I eat carbs again, but I eat low GI (wholegrain bread, sweet potato, legumes, basmati rice) which is also good for my PCOS. On top of this I exercise 3 or 4 times a week, both cardio and strength training.

Since I have found this balance my body really seems to respond to it and I have been able to consistently lose weight if I stick to it. I know it might not be right for everyone, but it is working for me and I hope it keeps working!

10 comments:

  1. It is so easy to get caught up in low fat, no carbs, no protein, grapefruit, soup, whatever diet plan. In reality we need to find what works for our own bodies and it sounds like you have! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you working out what works best for your body... I am still in the process... am trying low/no carbs for a while to kick start things again! Glad you had a good loss this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh YAAAAAAAAY, great to hear that you're taking on how your body is responding to the foods you're eating, rather than getting caught up in the hype and hysteria of fad diets and whatnot.

    I'm so happy for you! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. That.Sounds.Awesome!

    Congratulations on the loss! And on the self-knowledge!

    I used to be caught up in the no-fat, and the no-carbs thing. Once you come out of it though, you kind of learn from it. Both sides have their points, but it's about balance, and that's so great that you've found that balance.

    Woo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the 800g, any little loss counts. Balance is key, so good on you for finding the right balance in your nutrition...that way you can carry these food habits for life. Keep up the great job,
    Karine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on the loss Tully! By the sounds of it, finding that balance is working wonders for you. I'm trying to do the low GI thing as well, as much as possible, and am finding my energy levels are fairly constant throughout the day now. Keep up the good work - looking forward watching more weekly losses by you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo! Congrats on the loss and finding a good balance for your diet. I have a feeling now that you've figured out what works for you it'll start showing more and more on the scale.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay a loss!! Joo rock!! I did the no carbs thing for a while, it did work but too hard to stick to. I try and moderate my carbs and keep my lean protein levels up, that works well for me!!

    You just have to keep changing things up til you find what works, and stick with it!! You can do it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is nice to read such an informative blog. I thought to share with you about I'd recommend checking out www.thedailyskinny.com and the weight of vidence blog for other great posts. Those are two of my daily favorites

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on getting back to your lowest weight. That must feel sooooooo good.

    It takes time to find the food plan that works best for you. Yours sounds very healthy and the fact that you feel better is a testimony to having found a plan that works.

    I am on a low carb plan myself that has worked for me in the past. I don't experience the loss of energy though probably because I eat a s**t load of vegetables which in and of themselves are a form of carbohydrates.

    I do agree with you that the key to losing weight consistently, no matter what plan we use, is to 'stick to it'. That is a great big challenge right there.

    ReplyDelete

Awww thanks so much for the comment!