Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Details

WOW!

You guys have left me speechless. I did not ever imagine when I wrote my last post about getting a lapband that I would get such an outpouring of kindness and support. I am so lucky to have you guys. By the way, I am such a dork and I printed off your comments because they mean so much to me. I have read them over and over again and they continue to make me smile and cry (happy tears).

Ok, so now you all want to know the details... I am booked in for surgery next Friday 22nd May. Yep, one week and two days away!!!

Before the surgery I have to go on optifast for 2 weeks in order to reduce the amount of fat around my liver and make the operation easier to perform. I am an old hat at the optifast, so I started 3 weeks early and let me tell you, that was a bad decision. For the first 3 weeks I didn't follow it strictly and would eat one or two meals a week during social/work occasions and it was quite easy. Since last Thursday I began following it strictly because that was the date I was told to start the pre-surgery diet. Of course, now that I have to follow it, I don't want to anymore. I am like a child in that way, as soon as someone tells me to do something, I don't want to do it. I am getting through it, but I am about ready to eat my own arm at this point. The good news is that I have lost almost 8 kilos and I am down to 122 kilos and feeling so much better already.

It has been a long process, first you need to attend an information session. I attended two at different hospitals because I didn't like the attitude of the surgeon at the first one. Then I had to speak to my GP and get a referral to see the surgeon. Then I spoke to a surgeon and we discussed the procedure and my eligibility and I said I would think about it and get back to him. When I decided to go ahead I had to see the surgeon again and get blood tests and book a date. Finally, I saw my surgeon last week to check in again and answer any last minute questions and discuss my pre-surgery diet. For anyone that is interested, I am going through The Avenue here in Melbourne and my out of pocket cost will be $3,400 (the rest is covered by private health insurance) and this will cover all follow up.

Please feel free to ask any questions! I'll keep you updated on how it goes, step by step.

I am so excited and completely ready to start my new life.

13 comments:

  1. oh my gosh that is so soon! Good luck! And Congrats again on making the decisions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so soon! I'd be really interested to hear your perspective on the whole process, so (even though I know you'll be recovering) please keep updating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *gasp* Next Week!

    Oh wow. What a big decision. What a hard decision. What a brave thing to do.

    I think you're doing the right thing. You are so young and to have your life dominated by your weight is just horrible.

    The other day you said you were 130kg. My usual weight is 70kg. Assuming you're "supposed" to be around 60kg that's as if you were carrying me on your back ALL DAY AND NIGHT!!! It must be killing you...

    I think the lapband is your best bet of a happy and healthy life.

    Best of luck, and please keep posting. I am fascinated and not judgemental at all. I reckon it's better than yoyo dieting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wahoo on the 8 kilo's - that is fantastic! and next Friday will be here in no time.
    I would love to ask you a question! Can I ask if you looked into a bypass as well and if so what made you decide to go for the band?
    I am so excited for you and cannot wait to read all about your journey! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's so soon... nothing like getting things done once the decision is made..

    They did a lot of these where I used to worked, and everyone always commented that it was the best thing they ever did..

    good luck with your soon to be new life

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic news! Congratulations on the eight kilos and on setting a date so soon. I know exactly what you mean about not liking to do what we are told, it is like a red rag to a bull when I am told not to do something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting that is happening so quickley!!!! Well done on the loss :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Optifast suxs!! lol Its torture! But soon it will be over and before you know it you will be a month down the track..... Best of luck to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so excited for you! You've already lost 8 kilos so good job too! Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  10. fairy clap for the 8 kilos!!!

    bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done on the loss babe - you aren't too far from your surgery date at all! WOOHOO. Optifast is the pits but it's totally worth the effort now for the pay off later.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Let me add my congratulations to the other 40+ people. It's a huge decision and it sounds like you've made it having done all the research and your head is screwed on properly so you'll be a great success!

    Look forward to tracking your results!

    Em :)

    ReplyDelete

Awww thanks so much for the comment!