Tuesday, September 08, 2009

The Band So Far

I did a lot of reading and thinking about getting the lap band before before I went ahead with it. I thought I knew everything there was to know and what to expect, but it has still surprised me.

I don't really have the restriction I thought I would get from the band. I do follow my doc's instructions and eat only 2 small meals a day, but it doesn't keep me as satisfied as I thought it would. I don't ever get half way through dinner and then stop because I am so full. I guess I must still need more restriction put in the band, but at the same time, I don't want it to get too tight so that I have trouble swallowing certain foods. My biggest nightmare is that I would have to run out on a work lunch because I got some chicken caught in my band, so I am happy to take it slow.

The biggest way I can say that the lap band has helped me is that it has stopped my binge eating. I can still eat more than I should, but I generally don't because it is just too difficult. As soon as I think about ordering a pizza or buying a burger, I know there is no point because I'll have to take very small bites and eat it very slowly. It kind of takes the joy out of biting into a big juicy burger with the lot.

I can't lie and pretend that it doesn't make me sad that I can't kick back with a DVD while I mindlessly shove an Aussie pizza down my throat. I know it sounds gross, but I enjoy having the occasional pig out at home alone in my pj's. I could still eat an Aussie pizza, but it would take so long to eat that I just couldn't be bothered. I know it is probably for the best, but I do mourn my greasy food binges.

So while for the majority of the time I still have to watch every calorie I eat, use good old fashioned willpower and work my arse off at the gym, when it come to binging, the lap band has been my saviour.

7 comments:

  1. I just got my band 2 wks ago. I know what you mean. I don't have a fill yet and I miss food but I worry about getting food stuck so I am sticking to the diet as best as I can. It's not easy, I keep telling other people, this isn't a fix, you have to do all the work yourself! I think fear of having to have another surgery is what keeps me from choking down stuff I am not supposed to have. Glad that I am not the only one feeling this way. Keep blogging woman, I need the support!-K.T. http://krystros.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You summed up exactly where I am at with my band too: I eat small meals - for the most part just a couple a day - sometimes I'm way more hungry than others, and yet I too don't want to get so much fill it makes me PB all the time and have reflux. It's a tricky line, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tully, I still love your posts. And you are doing FABULOUS. You go girl! Slow and sure wins the race. You are learning to live a healthier lifestyle, and that is the important thing.

    PS...post some more pictures soon. I am sure you look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you still at 5ccs? If so, don't worry to much yet. The trickiest part of the band is patience while you're trying to get to your band's sweet spot.

    For some people it happens at 3ccs. For others it's 10 ccs. If your doc doesn't use x-rays for fills, you should appreciate him taking it slow. It can be very distressing to have a band get overfilled.

    Take comfort in your slow victories and try to follow the rules as well as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep exactly how I feel. Even when I have a big weekend of wine and junk I think it could have been worse if I could still eat 2 whoppers with cheese and a large fries!!!

    Still the band is no easy solution - you still need to have a modicum of control - something I struggle with when it comes to chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tully,

    I just found your blog and am enjoying it very much.

    I have never had lap band surgery or other medical intervention to lose weight, but 2 years ago I embarked on a wellness plan and lost 55 pounds. I have continued to maintain a healthy weight, but it is not easy. I walk 1-2 miles a day, 4-5 days a week, and try to maintain a healthy diet.

    One thing I have learned: I can still eat the foods that I love (fried fish, steak and potatoes, etc.) just in smaller portions or prepared differently. In this way, I can indulge the occasional craving without breaking the calorie "bank."

    I have created 2 blogs that may be of interest to you. Take a look:

    http://healthynotskinny.blogspot.com and http://eatthefoodsyoulove.blogspot.com

    Be well,

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really interesting.... I just posted a big long "confession" about my binge eating. You might want to check it out. Besides, knowing that some people who are reading it are people who won't judge me, who understand.... means a lot to me. =)

    It's at Balance in Bites =)

    ReplyDelete

Awww thanks so much for the comment!