Friday, August 05, 2011

Good & Evil


I wanted to share a couple of recipes I made last weekend that I thought were delicious and worked really well. I would love to know if you have any favourite recipes that you would like to share!

GOOD

I try to make a pot of soup every week or two to get all my veggies, lentils and legumes in. Soup can be so boring and I find myself dreading eating soup for dinner again… but this Bacon and Vegetable Soup I could eat every day for lunch and dinner. It was rich, wholesome, filling and delicious and I am sure I will make it again.

Bacon and Vegetable Soup
Ingredients
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 leek, trimmed, halved, washed, thinly sliced
  • 1 brown onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 4 rashers middle bacon, chopped
  • 2 celery stalks, trimmed, chopped
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
  • 1/2 cup pearl barley
  • 400g can crushed tomatoes
  • 6 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
  • 1 medium zucchini, halved, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
  • Salt and pepper for seasoning
Method
  • Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook leek, onion and garlic, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until leek has softened. Add bacon, celery, zucchini and carrot. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until bacon is golden.
  • Stir in barley, tomato and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 40 minutes or until barley has softened.
  • Simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add basil. Stir to combine. Serve.
Recipe taken and amended to my taste from: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/22905/bacon+and+vegetable+soup

EVIL

Warning: this stuff is like crack. After I made it I couldn’t stop eating it and when I finally ran out, I couldn’t stop thinking about making it again so I could eat more. It is now one of my all-time favourite recipes and is also the perfect recipe to make for friends and family as a gift (if you are as mean as me).

Caramel Popcorn

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup popping corn
  • 125g butter, chopped
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 cup pecans, roughly chopped

Method

  • Line a tray with baking paper.
  • Pop your popcorn using whatever method you use (I used a popcorn machine).
  • Transfer to a large bowl, discarding any unpopped corn.
  • Make caramel: Combine butter, sugar and honey in a saucepan over medium heat.
  • Cook, stirring, for 5 to 7 minutes or until sugar has dissolved.
  • Bring mixture to the boil. Boil, uncovered, without stirring, for 5 to 8 minutes or until light golden.
  • Remove from heat. Stir in pecans. Pour caramel mixture over popcorn and stir until popcorn is coated.
  • Spread over prepared tray. Set aside to cool. Break into pieces. Serve.

Recipe taken and amended to my taste from: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/8051/caramel+popcorn

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about soup "AGAIN!". hehehe you just get over it. I'll give it a try. I made a brilliant Osso Bucco soup last weekend.....divine. Will post the recipe (or link to) in the next few weeks.

    I love hand baked goodies, just not so keen on popcorn myself :0)

    ReplyDelete

Awww thanks so much for the comment!