Wednesday, October 26, 2011

True Measure of Success

I was reading fellow lap band blogger, Dinnerland, the other day and some things she said really got me thinking. She spoke about all the amazing things in her life that she successfully controls, but that the one thing she hasn’t been able to control without the help of weight loss surgery was her eating. Which, by the way, she has done phenomenally and is a real lap band success story!

Anyway, the reason this struck a chord with me was because it made me look inward and see that maybe I shouldn’t be so hard on myself all the time. I have put together a pretty nice life for myself, I have a good job, a nice place to live,  great friends and I work hard to support and care for my family and I even try to be a nice person most of the time. So why is it that I let the one thing that I don’t do so well (controlling my eating) rule the way I value myself and my success in life?

I place no importance on the appearance of others or what size clothes they wear or how they eat, so why do I hold it as the ultimate indicator of success in myself? No one I know cares how much I weigh or is even interested in such a mundane topic. Yet I continue to use it as the way to measure my success and happiness.

Unfortunately it isn’t as simple as identifying this logic and fixing it. Almost 30 years of being overweight and hating myself can’t be erased over night. I will certainly work on it though because even I am sick of hearing myself talk about this crap!

Source

2 comments:

  1. Why is it that we are all so hard on ourselves? When I look at a picture of you, I only see a truly beautiful women. I hope you can see that too and stop being so hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks-- I just noticed this post! Glad i made you think, and I am always thinking these things too-- keep on keeping on girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete

Awww thanks so much for the comment!