Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Power Bars

*EDIT* Pictures should be fixed now! They aren't that interesting though...

After having a lap band, I still find it incredibly difficult to get all the protein and other vitamins I need and as a result I have anemia, B12 deficiency and I am CONSTANTLY exhausted. This has been by far the hardest part about dealing with the lap band. You would think that losing all this weight will make you healthier, but I am not sure if I could say that about myself. I find it very difficult to exercise these days, I am always at the doctors getting more tablets and needles, I can't donate blood anymore and I have to get AJ to open a bloody bottle of soft drink for me because I never have the strength!

I do want to be healthier so I really think about every piece of food that I put in my mouth:

  • Is it high in protein?
  • Is it high in fibre?
  • Is it low in carbs?
  • Is it band friendly?

Of course I am nowhere near perfect and when I am digging into a tub of ice cream the only question I am asking is does it have caramel, white chocolate and macadamias?

One of the things I have relied on to get me through a busy day is protein bars because they generally satisfy all my criteria and it is easy to keep a supply in your desk drawer or in your handbag. I find them perfect for the afternoon sugar craving and they keep me full until dinner. God, I sound like an advertisement, but unfortunately no one is paying me to say this!

The only problem is that they are sooo expensive here in Australia. The low carb protein bars are generally about $4.50 each, which is more than I can afford on a daily basis. So I decided to see what I could find online and discovered that I could order a box of 5 bars for almost that same price from this website in the US. I bought 15 boxes and it cost me $120 (including delivery, which was the most expensive part). This works out at only $1.60 per bar, which is a much more reasonable price.

They are all Atkins brand, not because I am following the Atkins diet, but I just find them to be the nicest brand and I am also sucked in by all the yummy flavours. So here is what I got... I have only tried a couple so far, but my current favourite is the peanut butter granola bar.

Does anyone else have any good suggestions for getting their protein in?

The slightly crushed haul of bars that arrived at my work

Cinnamon Bun Bar

Cookies n' Creme Bar

Caramel Chocolate Peanut Nougat Bar

Chocolate Peanut Butter Bar

Chocolate Crisp Bar

Peanut Butter Granola Bar

Caramel Fudge Brownie Bar


Dark Chocolate Almond Coconut Crunch Bar

Peanut Butter Fudge Crisp Bar

Sweet & Salty Almond Crunch Bar

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bar

Coconut Almond Delight Bar

Peanut Butter Cup
OK, these aren't protein bars, but I just had to try them!

4 comments:

  1. I am going to go to the supermarket after work to see what flavour of these they have there! I need some better snacks... I have a hard time not eating everything in my desk drawer after lunch. I think that is mostly out of boredom though, rather than hunger. Blah! If I like the bars I will check out the site - thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new lay out. I still cant see the pic .... :0(

    I like the musashi low carb chocolate powder mixed with a bit of water or milk :0)

    Not as bargain as your bars though!! Good Score!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't see the pics on the website - rest is looking good though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah - can I ask how do you find them on your stomach? I have bought some, and the coconut chocolate chews (like a Bounty bar) and the peanut caramel chews (like a Snickers) are SO good, but I have found the have some, err, unpleasant side effects, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Awww thanks so much for the comment!