Monday, December 19, 2011

Online Shopping

After my horror weekend of dress shopping for my birthday I came into work Monday morning and opened my Google Reader while I had a cup of tea (diligent worker that I am) and browsed one of my favourite fashion blogs, Jaclyn Day. That morning she featured some lovely items in cobalt blue and a dress she linked to caught my attention. I went to the website and checked out the dress and then continued browsing through the rest of Piperlime because I had never heard of it before and it had some gorgeous things.

Being a Monday morning, I was feeling a little fragile and I decided I didn't give a shit about being careful with money for once and purchased 3 dresses. Their largest size is a US Large, which according to this conversion website, is an Australian size 16. Even though I had already purchased the dresses on a whim, I then checked my measurements against their sizing information and was deflated to see that it seemed I was about 10 inches too fat for them. Oh well, I decided that they would just sit on the inspiration side of my wardrobe for a while and I would hopefully fit into them one day.

For those interested, it cost me about AUD $300 all up, including $50 postage, so about $100 a dress is great for dresses delivered to your door. Now I just have to stop myself from ordering the other 50 dresses I love...

Here is what I ordered:

Link
Link
Link
I don't think this is the exact dress I bought, it seems to have disappeared from the website, but this is very similar, same price and the same brand
Exactly one week after placing my order the dresses were delivered to my door from the US. They came in quite cute packaging with a little carry bag and a brightly decorated box...




I ripped the packing off and tried them on to see how far off they were from fitting me. The first dress with the feather pattern was too small. The zip wouldn't do up and the dress had no give at all. It is a lovely dress though and I will definitely keep it and hope I can wear it when I go to Byron Bay in February. The blue dress fit OK, I could get away with it, but I would prefer it a little looser if possible. It is much nicer in real life than it looks in the picture. The skirt is pleated and the colour is beautiful. I look forward to wearing it soon hopefully!

Lastly, the dress I most wanted to fit because I had bought it with the hope I could wear it to my birthday dinner this week, was the black sequin dress. I actually think that I can get away with it, what do you think? It is quite short so I will wear black tights with it even though it is summer! I am cold all the time anyway, so I still wear tights most days unless it is a heat wave. Now I just have to brave the shopping mall for some killer earrings and a little bag and I am all set. 

The pictures do not do the dress justice because it is so sparkley and gorgeous in real life. I'll post pictures when I am all dressed up properly, in the pictures below I was just about to go to the gym so I am without make up and my hair is slicked back in a greasy pony tail. My birthday is Friday night and we are having dinner in the city (it's actually a family Christmas dinner, but since it's my birthday I'll pretend it is for me) and I am staying in a fancy hotel so I am looking forward to getting ready and having something nice to wear. Yay, I can't wait!





12 comments:

  1. The sequin dress looks great on you. You have great legs so show them off. Hope you have a great birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress looks great on you!! I love the back of it...very sexy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the black dress looks really good on you but please dont wear it with heavy black tights -you're legs are good so maybe some sheer black stockings if you're feeling self conscious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dress looks awesome! And you have great legs. I honestly can't believe you could be bigger than a 16. Looking at these photos, I would guess a size 12-14 tops. You look hot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the deep V-line at the back of the dress. I'm with Cinders - don't go with black tights - definitely need something sheer.

    Have a great evening !
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look great :o) Nice to see you were able to get a dress after all !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dress looks great! Happy Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Va va voom....dress looks amazing on you. Though I'd skip the tights, go for some killer-ish heels and a light fake tan of the legs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. Love the new layout of your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree- the dress looks great- but no tights!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sheer Blacks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    love the dress, you'll look a million bucks!!!!!

    :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with the above - your legs are gorgeous! Very jealous!

    ReplyDelete

Awww thanks so much for the comment!