Thursday, May 10, 2012

Looking Back, Looking Forward

With winter well on its way, it is becoming increasingly clear that I either need to some lose weight or buy a new winter jacket. Given certain financial constraints, my only choice right now is to lose some weight. Well, it's probably a good idea anyway since none of my other clothes fit either.

AJ very cruelly snapped this photo on the tram this afternoon on the way home from work. That poor button is about 3 inches away from having any chance of doing up. No wonder people always think I am pregnant when I walk around with a maternity bump like that!


The good news is that I am not starting from scratch. I don't weigh 130 kilos (286 lbs) anymore so there is nothing to cry about . To get back to where I felt comfortable in my clothes and in my skin I probably need to lose 7-10 kilos (15-20 lbs). That is not the end of the world. Hell, even if I lose 3-5 kilos (6-10 lbs) I will feel better.

If I want to really search for the silver lining about this recent weight gain I would say that it has been a blessing to reassess where I was and where I want to be. I was on such a roll with my weight loss and weighing close to a normal weight for the first time that I couldn't appreciate how far I had come. I didn't stop to smell the roses... Looking back now I can see that I shouldn't have been so hard on myself and I am glad that I realise that now.

I recently used all my frequent flyer point to buy a new laptop and I had to transfer all my old photos to my new laptop. As I was sorting through my old photos I looked back and realised that last year I wasn't as fat as I seemed to think I was at the time. I was certainly never thin, but I was feeling fit, confident and happy. What more can you want?

Here are a few of the pictures I came across that stood out to me because I didn't know they were being taken and they are all very awkward positions. Of course they are not 'nice' photos, but I thought I managed to look normal enough while I wasn't posing. The funny thing is I recall feeling particularly fat in both the first and third photos. How silly I was.

Doing my make-up before a night out


Resting while on a hike (and being silly by the looks of it)


Playing on the rocks in Tasmania

2 comments:

  1. I struggle with exactly the same issues - my head tells me I'm huge then I'm genuinely shocked when I look "normal" in a photo. That kinda negative inner monologue can't be good, but I'm not quite sure how to avoid it... For the record - they're all lovely pics and you look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah, winter coats are a cruel mistress, arent they?
    I'm eyeing off beautiful coats in Forever News that last year I promised myself I would be able to fit into by now...not so much. Lol

    ReplyDelete

Awww thanks so much for the comment!