Monday, May 06, 2013

6 Months Post Body Lift

Today is 6 months since the best day of my entire life-- my body lift surgery. It is, without a doubt, the best thing I have ever done for myself. While the physical benefits of the surgery have been immense, it is the mental benefits that I appreciate even more.

The two overwhelming emotions that I had about my excess skin was shame and fear. I was ashamed of my body and lived in constant fear that my 'secret' would be found out. I went to elaborate (and often painful and expensive) lengths to hide my skin. Now that is has been removed I just feel so free and like a massive weight has been lifted (pun intended!).

I don't have to constantly worry about my top coming up and exposing the bulge of skin tucked into my pants or if it is a windy day and my dress clings to my stomach and shows the outline of the hanging skin. I can get changed in a store change room without holding the door closed in case someone comes in and happily have spa treatments with my girlfriends without the stress of keeping my stomach hidden. I can dance and exercise without the skin flopping around and I can even feel sexy and beautiful on the odd occassion!

I just feel normal for the first time in my life and I am thankful for my surgery every single day.

Before
 
After

On holidays in Thailand in March

7 comments:

  1. Just want to say thank you so much for writing about your PS. I took the very first step in contacting a local surgeon. I'm terrified and then the guilt about how much this will cost makes me crazy. But I just want to say thanks for blogging about your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 weeks tomorrow I have my operation thank you for your honesty xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed, great to see honesty, instead of reading how rosy everything is.

    I'm 10kg away from my goal but even before having the sleeve, I was always trying to hide the excess skin and now it's even worse. I can't wear short sleeved tops due to the batwing arms, so even in the middle of summer, when out and about, I was wearing a cardigan. Just so hard to find clothes to fit and hide everything properly.

    Hopefully that'll all change come June next year, when I'm aiming to had the works done to rid me of this excess skin that I loathe so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pool photo - can't believe it's been 6 months, really happy for you xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're looking adorable by the pool! Love your honesty about your extra skin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please keep sharing more and more information residential lift

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look fantastic! Thank you for sharing the brave pics. It is nice to not have any secrets!

    ReplyDelete

Awww thanks so much for the comment!