Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Working the Lap Band

I went back to my doctor to get another fill in my lap band on Monday. I have decided that I am really going to try and work this lap band... before it inevitably needs to be removed!

Fill details
Pre fill level: 6.1 mls
Fill given: 0.3 mls
Current fill level: 6.4 mls
Band capacity:10 mls

I was reading the Australian lap band forum recently, Banding Together, and got inspiration from everyone talking about how little they can eat and how long they stay full. I realised I have never really pushed myself to get the lap band full enough to have that satiety. I was always too scared of the limitations it would put on me socially and also fearing embarrassing stuck moments at work. So maybe if I keep getting fill put in my lap band I will get to that sweet spot that lap banders always talk about.

There is just no point having a lap band if I am never going to feel full so I just have to accept that eating out is going to be difficult and embarrassing situations may happen. Even when I have my lap band quite empty I still have trouble eating out because I get nervous and the band closes up.

I know there are plenty of people out there who have the lap band and have been able to reach the 'green zone' where they can eat healthy foods and feel satisfied and rarely get stuck. Those of us that have not ever reached that point end up feeling like a failure. I have had the lap band for 4 and half years and during thate time I have fallen into one of two categories:

1. The band does not have enough fill in it to help me feel full. I can eat chicken, salad, red meat, rice and bread and McDonalds...
 
2. The band is too tight and the only foods that will go down comfortably are chips and ice cream and there is no chance of eating a normal healthy meal

Apparently there is a magic third category:
 
3. The band has the right amount of fill so that I can eat half a cup of normal food and feel satisfied for at least 3-4 hours

I am determined to try and get myself into this elusive category!

This is now the most fill I have ever had in my lap band. Right now the band still feels very tight and eating is quite difficult, but I find that fills can take a couple of weeks to settle into place, so I will wait and see how it goes. I am mourning food a little bit, thinking of all the restaurants I want to eat at and all the fun summer time adventures that are sucky with the band. I guess I just need to learn how to have fun without it revolving around food. Ha ha!!!



6 comments:

  1. Good luck lovely!!! See you next Thursday xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the reason I didn't get a band...trial and error trying to find the 'green zone'. I didn't want that.

    Hope all works out for you though...you need to catch a break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just commented below you, but meant to reply to you directly Nessa...

      I think you made the right choice, I really couldn't recommend the band to anyone.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go you for persisting!! Lap band was never for me as I have heard so many bad things (and I am a woosy that loves eating).. Its hard work not matter how we try to lose weight and win the fight. Just do your best and know you have plenty of support out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think hunger control is paramount to achieve weight-loss. Hunger is a primal driving force in mankind and if people are hungry, they will eat. I also find it difficult to control my emotional eating, but after being heard of side effects of weightloss surgery, I changed my decision.

    ReplyDelete

Awww thanks so much for the comment!